Thursday, March 10, 2011

Totally different ball game!

First visit to the gynae - appointment on the 2nd December! I call this a big deal because with Emily I wanted to have nothing to do with hospitals and doctors. I was determined to go 'AL natural' at home with just my husband and midwife present. Except my plan didn't work out as well as I had hoped that it would - Yes, I got to have our little princess at home but it wasn't all plain sailing. After just  hours of labour, her head 'popped'- but the rest of her stayed behind. She had what is called shoulder dystocia - this s what happens when the baby's shoulder gets stuck after the head has come out. Often happens when the baby is very large. Turned out Emily was 4.1 kgs - not what we, or the midwifes expected. In order to save her they had to get her out very quickly, which in this case meant pulling her out. As a result, I tore very badly and started hemorrhaging. My midwife tried for what I think was about an hour to stitch me up but I was loosing so much blood that then decision was made to take me to hospital. The hospital that I needed to get to was about 40 minutes away. That part is all a bit of a blur - I was in and out of consciousness because my blood pressure was so low. I think at this point I had more saline in my body than actual blood! Once at the hospital, they got emergency blood, UN STITCHED the stitches that my midwife had done and took me into theatre to have the stitching redone. The best part I can honestly say... was the spinal block! Which was brilliant after a mostly 'No pain relief' labour and birth. So as you can see, after my first experience which was supposed to be perfect and hospital free, it didn't exactly turn out that way and so now I was confronted with the reality that I would HAVE to go to hospital for number two. Not only that, but because of my diabetes, I would have to have a Caesar. Not that I'm really complaining about that though. It is just all a lot to take in!


So off to the gynae we go! My totally brilliant, committed husband at my side! We have our first scan and everything looks good. Baby is in the right place, Not in a fallopian tube or anything else equally scary and by the looks of it I am about 8 weeks at this stage! YAY! The excitement truly hits -  we are going to have a baby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment